FBC History

Constituted in November 1829, First Baptist Montgomery began with four charter members. In the 179 years since the beginning, the First Baptist family has called only a few locations home, but has been the participant in a number of expansions. It is these expansions that have enabled FBC to have a great history of Building Generations of Faith:

 
1829
First pastor was Lee Compere, (b. 1790, England)

1833
Built the first wood-frame building on Court Street

1850s
Moved the building off site while a new brick building was constructed

1854-1905
Worshipped in the brick building on Court Street

1905
Groundbreaking for the sanctuary on Perry Street

1908
Began worshipping in the basement of the sanctuary

1916
 Began to use the new sanctuary

1923
Building construction completed and building dedicated

Late 1930s
Sunday School extension was constructed

1950
Ridgecrest Baptist Church was organized as a mission of First Baptist


1954

Normandale Baptist Church was constituted as another mission of First Baptist.

Mid 1950s
Began building campaign for multi-story Sunday School building

1957 - 1979
J.R. White served as pastor


1980

Dale Huff became pastor

Mid 1980s
Built J.R. White Building and Scott Street parking lot

1988
Jane Ferguson joined the FBC staff and developed the Community Ministries program

1991
Jay Wolf became the 23rd pastor

1994
Vaughn Forest Baptist Church was constituted
as another mission of First Baptist

1999
Facility that is now home to the Caring Center purchased

2001
Cornerstone laid for the new sanctuary

2004
Building construction on sanctuary completed

January 2008
$23 million debt on the new sanctuary was retired

Fall 2008
Groundbreaking for the new educational facility

June 2010
The new educational facility was dedicated

July 2012
The new educational facility was officially named the The Jay and Mary Ruth Wolf Kingdom Resource Center
 
 




While First Baptist has an illustrious history that reflects God's leadership, it has a stellar future as we purpose to faithfully serve Christ in the heart of our city.