Constituted in November 1829, First Baptist Montgomery began with four charter members. In the 191 years since the beginning, the First Baptist family has called only a few locations home, but has been the participant in a number of expansions. It is these expansions that have enabled FBC to have a great history of Building Generations of Faith.
Mark Bethea became the 24th pastor.
The new educational facility was officially named the The Jay and Mary Ruth Wolf Kingdom Resource Center
The new educational facility was dedicated
Groundbreaking for the new educational facility
$23 million debt on the new sanctuary was retired
Building construction on sanctuary completed
Cornerstone laid for the new sanctuary
Groundbreaking for new sanctuary
Facility that is now home to the Caring Center purchased
Vaughn Forest Baptist Church was constituted as another mission of First Baptist
Jay Wolf became the 23rd pastor
Jane Ferguson joined the FBC staff and developed the Community Ministries program
Built J.R. White Building and Scott Street parking lot.
Dale Huff became pastor
J.R. White served as pastor
Began building campaign for multi-story Sunday School building
Normandale Baptist Church was constituted as another mission of First Baptist.
Ridgecrest Baptist Church was organized as a mission of First Baptist
Sunday School extension was constructed
Building construction completed and building dedicated
Began to use the new sanctuary
Began worshipping in the basement of the sanctuary
Groundbreaking for the sanctuary on Perry Street
Worshipped in the brick building on Court Street
Moved the building off site while a new brick building was constructed
Lee Compere, a missionary among the Creek Indians stationed near modern day Tallassee, was our first pastor. He was born in England in 1790.
First Baptist was constituted on November 29, 1829, under the leadership of Fields Bradshaw and Lee Compere. There were four charter members — John Gindrat, J.R. Crosby, Margaret Wiggins, and Jane Compere (Lee's sister).